Interested in transferring to a four-year institution to complete a bachelor's degree? You may be eligible for the College Transfer Grant upon transferring. Submit the completed application to the financial aid office at your Virginia four-year college or university. If you have questions in the meantime, contact the financial aid office at either your community college or your Virginia four-year college or university.

Eligible students must:

  • Be an in-state student
  • Be a first-time entering freshman no earlier than summer 2007
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for the associate degree
  • Complete an associate degree at a community college and transfer to a participating four-year institution by the fall semester following completion of the associate degree
  • Attend full-time at the participating four-year institution and enroll in an eligible program of study
  • Enroll in a non-profit private or public four-year institution
  • Apply for financial aid by submitting the FAFSA form by the four-year institution's deadline
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Meet selective service requirements if applicable
  • Complete transfer application: 2023-2024 transfer grant application

Award Amount

  • Awarded to students enrolled at a participating Virginia four-year institution
  • Maximum annual standard award is $1000
  • Additional $1000 for students enrolled into a degree program in: engineering, mathematics, nursing, teaching, or science
  • Eligible institutions may provide an additional $1,000 award to students who transfer beginning in fall 2015
    • Eligible institutions include Norfolk State University, Old Dominion University, Radford University, the University of Virginia at Wise, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Virginia State University
  • Reduced only if it results in an over award, but will reduce eligibility for state need-based aid

Renewal Criteria and Limitations

  • Limited to three years or 70 credit hours
  • Maintain college GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
  • Continue to demonstrate financial need
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress

Page Updated 1/2024